– racist, arrogant, superior, unsympathetic, unpleasant, suspicious (p.46)
– accepting demands of Miss Emma and Tante Lou (p.118)–> wif’e’s influence
– questions regularly the situation (p.115) –> control
– thinks of his reputation even among the blacks/ Jefferson ( p.204)
–> Sam Guidry had not learnt any lesson yet since he keeps his prejudicial and superior position. He uses every possible means to maintain white supremacy and only cares for his reputation.
– white example for equality
– in the beginning ,no racist thinking but passive, not showing attitude openly
– in the end, going to the black funeral standing up for his way of thinking
–> change from passive player to acrtive one
What I have learnt from the Ernest J. Gaines’ novel ” A Lesson Before dying” is the right to voice for the rights one has. What is more, the accent is put on positive egality and respect each and every human being deserves so that prejudices and superficiality shall be condemned contrary to the questioning of the contemporary system.